Illinois Genealogy Resources
Chicago and Cook County
Maps and Gazetteers
- Checklist of Chicago region maps at the Newberry
Library: including maps of the city, Cook County, and the collar
counties of DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry and Will. Chicago:
The Newberry Library, 2005. Call # Local History RefZ6028 .N48
2005c (2nd floor open shelf).
Ancestors. Using Google Maps as its base, the Newberry
library has mapped the location of churches, homicide
statistics, Chicago neighborhood information, photos and more.
Information on the site includes:
- Church locations for Roman Catholic and Lutheran Churches along with information on where to access the church records.
- Locations of schools whose yearbooks are held by The Newberry Library or the Chicago History Museum.
- Bibliographies for each of Chicago's 77 community areas.
- Homicide records covering 1912-1917 and eventually will include 1910-1930.
- Photos of Chicago buildings.
Chicago's Geographic Information System - Internet Mapping.
Locate street addresses, wards, neighborhoods, schools.
Chicago Imagebase (Maps). The Chicago Imagebase is a
Web-based project aimed at enhancing knowledge about the built
environment of the Chicago region. On this site you will find a
wide variety of images and other data along with information on
how to use this data to study the city.
Chicago Landmarks (Maps).
Chicago Street Name Changes.
Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago. Thousands of historical
resources, including articles, photos, maps, broadsides and
newspapers related to Chicago's history.
Federal Township Plats of Illinois, 1804-1891
Historical Aerial Photography for Cook County, Illinois
Map Holdings Bibliographies. Newberry Library.
- A Look
at Cook. Maps and
Boundary Descriptions for Wards, Townships, and Enumeration
- Mayer, Harold M. and Richard C. Wade. Chicago: Growth
of a Metropolis. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press,
1969. Includes 1,000 photographs and fifty maps.
- Pacyga, Dominic A. and Ellen Skerrett. Chicago: City
of Neighborhoods: Histories and Tours. Chicago: Loyola
University Press, 1986. Includes numerous photographs and maps.
- Sanborn Maps for Chicago. Newberry Library. Call
#G1409 C4 S3 1901 map8C Index Map. 1900-1950. Most volumes
contain corrections dated to 1990.
- Styx, Sherrie A. Chicago Ward Maps, 1837-1970.
Eugene, Oregon: Styx Enterprises, 1988.
Thompson 1830 Plat of Chicago.
- University of Illinois Chicago Image Maps