Illinois Genealogy Resources
Chicago and Cook County
There is an abundance of Chicago and Cook County resources for
genealogical and family history research.
Guides to Chicago Genealogical Research
- Chicago Ancestors.
Using Google Maps as its base, the Newberry library has mapped
the location of churches, homicide statistics, Chicago
neighborhood information, photos and more. Information on the
- Church locations for Roman Catholic and Lutheran Churches along with information on where to access the church records.
- Locations of schools whose yearbooks are held by The Newberry Library or the Chicago History Museum.
- Bibliographies for each of Chicago's 77 community areas.
- Homicide records covering 1912-1917 and eventually will include 1910-1930.
- Photos of Chicago buildings.
Genealogy Research Articles by Michael John Neill.
Chicago Genealogy - Newberry Library Bibliography
Chicago Genealogy.com. Web site links for Cook County
Chicago Irish Genealogy.
Chicagoland Genealogy Research Locations. An interactive map
of research facilities commonly used by genealogists.
Genealogy Online. Online birth, death and marriage
records available online from the Cook County Clerk's Office.
- Cook County
Genealogy. American History and Genealogy Project.
County History and Genealogy. Genealogy Trails.
Cook County, Illinois. RootsWeb.
County Illinois Genealogy. Kindred Trails.
- Cook County,
Illinois Genealogy Resources. GenDir.com
Cook County, Illinois GenWeb
- DuMelle, Grace. Finding Your Chicago Ancestors: A
Beginner's Guide to Family History in the City and Cook County.
Chicago: Lake Claremont Press, 2005.
- Early Chicago.
Encyclopedia of Chicago.
Family History Library Catalog. Search "cook" or "chicago"
or the name of another Cook County township.
to Jewish Genealogy in Chicago. by Mike Karsen. An excellent
guide to general genealogical research in Chicago.
- A Look at Cook County.
Genealogy in Cook County.
Northern Region of ILGenWeb.
- Szucs, Loretto Dennis. Chicago & Cook County: A Guide to Research. Salt Lake City, Utah: Ancestry, 1996.